FPL Month 1: a fair share of good sense


It’s remarkable how predominant the memory of the bad decisions can be. It’s as if I could recall all the 50-50 decisions I got wrong ever since pre-season and simultaneously forgot, ignored or devalued all those I actually got right. This is certainly linked to the strongly superstitious facet of my managerial self (an attribute I actually related to the game itself in my precedent text). But there’s more to it. One could even say it’s some sort of a dissatisfaction. And a dissatisfaction that is seemingly independent of objective criteria: the fact is one can have a great gameweek, largely beating the average and overscoring all the private league’s competition, and still think – “Oh, if only I benched Salah instead!...” – if that means an additional point. There’s a psychological effect to this that one should not lessen. The game is, or should be, about having fun. And such dynamic is often depressive. Using such a word - «depressive» - in the context of a mere FPL chronicle will easily sound a little harsh for many. But, as ridiculous as it may seem, let me tell you it is not. The negative impact of a gameweek perceived as bad can be really damaging (admitting it is, in itself, a difficult step). One can and should always put things into perspective in a rational and detached manner.
That said, I hereby solemnly promise that I won’t panic and furiously, bitterly push the wildcard button if my team somehow fails to hit the three-digit mark in the upcoming GW5.


Go, Joshua! Go, Harry! Make my day. I beg you...!

Mensagens populares deste blogue

Algo de errado se passa.

Desencontro, ou Enquanto as ervilhas cozem

Os números COVID-19: ou latos em excesso, ou inconsistentes, ou pouco consolidados